Tuesday 4 February 2014

A longer but probably less clear story behind Hive Clothing

So on the website there's an about page and it's just a few lines explaining what Hive is and why. The reason its just a few lines is I don't wanna bore anyone who's just generally interested in my t-shirts. So for anyone who is actually interested in a more details history of myself and Hive Clothings origins I've written this...

When creating the hive brand the initial focus was on Manchester. The aim was (and still is) to get people to realise that the city they live in has an incredible history full of worlds firsts, revolution and radical change.

Why have the Empire State Building on your tee when you could have the hidden gem? What's L.A. Got to do with your life? You live in Moss Side not Miami. Don't be ashamed of who you are! Celebrate it! That IS after all what fashion is supposed to be right?

Other inspirations for my designs come from my own interests and experiences. Growing up in Manchester in the 90s was great. Everything was being rejuvenated. The depressing city that spawned great music was becoming a nice place to live. American imports like ice hockey and basketball were growing in popularity. United were winning everything!

When the 90s ended, United had won the treble, Manchester Storm and Manchester Giants had gone bankrupt and I entered my teens poppin ollies in a pub car park in Urmston between listening to Nirvana on my sony disc man and staying up late watching zombie movies.

Nowadays I’m just this one guy trying to make a difference in the world. Somehow I plan on doing that with t-shirts?

All these things connect and make sense in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment